Luis Suarez Final Threat To Barcelona Before Joining Atletico Madrid
Luis Suarez officially left Barcelona on Thursday, but the Uruguayan needed to threaten his now former team just to get his move done.
The 33-year-old has joined Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid, after being told he didn't feature in Ronald Koeman's plans for the season.
At one point it looked like he would join Juventus but that deal fell through and he then wanted to join Atleti, something the club weren't initially keen on.
According to Mundo Deportivo, when the club tried to block his move to the Spanish capital, Suarez threatened to publish the email which confirmed the teams he wasn't able to join.
That's because Simeone's side weren't on the list and Suarez was trying to force Barca into letting him move to the Wanda Metropolitano stadium, and he had a point considering he wasn't banned from that move.
The Catalan giants hadn't wanted to strengthen a rival and they'd also found it hard to negotiate with Atleti for Antoine Griezmann last summer, so they didn't want to work with them again.
1 of 6
Eventually the club relented though and allowed the 33-year-old to move to Atletico, where he could form a scary striker partnership with Diego Costa.
The former Liverpool striker became Barcelona's third all time top scorer in his six years at the club, scoring 198 times.
He was told by the club he was no longer needed, which is reportedly one of the many things that upset Lionel Messi into wanting to quit the club.
The move to Juventus looked to be on for Suarez and he even flew to Italy to take an Italian test in order to complete the move.
However that move fell apart and Alvaro Morata went from Atleti to the Old Lady on loan, rejoining the club he previously played for.